Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Soup

It is so very cold this winter. I've been gravitating toward those comfort food, stick-to-your-ribs type meals that make you feel warm and cozy when the temps dip below freezing. My Aunt Norma's Chicken Soup always make me feel warm inside. Following her recipe in her loopy, swirly, fancy handwriting is probably part of that warm feeling... the truth is, I don't even need it anymore, I know the recipe by heart, but I always pull it out of the box anyway. Seeing it makes me smile.

She included the recipe for dumplings on the back of the card. I've never run across dumplings quite like these in any recipe books, websites, blogs, households, or restaurants. Our family has always called them "golf ball dumplings". The recipe will look strange to you, but trust me, they are delicious. They soak up the broth and become one with the soup... is it weird to get a little misty about soup dumplings??? I may or may not be swooning right now. Try them, you will thank me.

Aunt Norma's Chicken Soup

1 large can of Chicken Broth (I regularly use the low sodium version... choose what you will.)

In a kettle, saute a little chopped garlic and a couple of thinly sliced green onions.

Add broth, One small bay leaf, pepper to taste, and 1/2 t. of parsley.

Bring to a boil. Add noodles (I use vermicelli) and 1 can of chunk chicken. I often share this recipe with friends who have no idea that you can purchase chicken this way. You will find it near the tuna at the grocer in the same little round cans. I have also used rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken breasts. 


Golf Ball Dumplings


1 package of hamburger buns. (don't get fancy... the cheapest white hamburger buns on the shelf are the ones you are after.)

4 eggs (5 if mixture seems to dry)

1/4 cup melted butter

Mix together with a fork or your hands. Scoop by the tablespoonful into boiling soup. Cover and let cook until dumplings are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment